As explained in the ALS forms question science thinks there is familial and hereditary version of ALS disease. There are gene mutations which were identified in ALS patients by comparing with healthy people. There are probably certain genetic predispositions which make such persons more vulnerable but it does not mean the genes are root cause of the problem.
Criticizing the genetic theories in ALS is my speciality. I think it is logical and rational to not emphasize genetics as a factor but the opposite is reality. Other much more important factors are kept in behind – mutagens like viruses and toxic substances like heavy metals. I suggest reading my Genetic Detour post. Every person needs to realize that it is environmental trigger or more specifically some combination of more triggers which causes ALS development. If a genetically more predisposed person (Familial ALS) gets the disease earlier since it is weaker and less resistant then genetically normal person can get ALS developed as well, only a bit later, after longer exposure (Sporadic ALS). This is not a rocket science. Please explain this to ALS researchers, if you will have chance to talk to them. Suprisingly the most known gene mutation is in SOD1 gene. In other words a detox gene. This can be simply interpreted like warning of following type “hey, stay away from toxic substances and metals, do not work in metal processing factories and you can live long and prosper, be careful at your dentist and do now allow him to put mercury in you”. One can also receive the protein, called super oxid dismutase in food if potentially having problems with generating it internally. These findings are obvious but never mentioned by research or media which makes all strange and suspicious.
Please note this answer is part of FAQ page containing 45+ amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) related questions. It can be also viewed as single post which may look little bit odd. For example search engine like Google or Bing can direct you at such view. If you are missing a context check the parent page and perhaps also other questions. Do you know ALS Experimental Theory? Are you aware of ALS 1KD Challenge? Have you read results of my ALS investigation with really controversial conclusion?
Fight against ALS disease needs to be lead by employing below generic tactics (details are part of this website too):
- Stabilization of PH across all body fluids
- Excretion of heavy metals (mercury, lead, cadmium) and toxic metals (aluminium) from body via natural chelatation and detoxification procedures
- Supporting immune system using all known means (supplementation, natural immune boosters)
- Supporting ALS ill organism with radical diet ("Kernel mode diet") with rich antioxidant and quality nutrition components
- Putting special focus on resting, breathing exercises, regulated sun exposure, keeping healthy and positive morale
- Support from other people who need to be also positive and believe in real improvements, words like fatality, incurability are forbidden and forgotten words
- Avoiding all strenuous activities and focusing on regulating all types of stress as much as possible (physical stress, psychic stress)