Sometimes to Rome but in our case to liver. This organ is loudly mentioned as a big health factor by Anthony William but not that loudly by others. During my analysis I took special care to understand how pillars of this experimental theory are perceived in other opinion camps including modern medicine. Liver as one such pillar deserved a dedicated post!
I need to write upfront the liver factor was appearing indirectly during my research efforts – now it is time to focus on it directly. Let´s start with basics as any other student.
Liver Quick Summary
I will link some resources as information is available in many formats and level of depth. We can summarize this in several bullet points.
- Liver is the largest organ in our bodies, it´s weight is around 1.5 kg.
- It is located under your diaphragm and above your stomach on the right side of your abdomen1
- It is also largest gland – organ with specific function (producing important hormones and other important chemicals; it is our big biologic chemical factory).
- It is known this organ has extraordinary regeneration ability compared to other organs.
- One generaly known function among other is production of bile which supports digestive tract (processing fats and lipids ingested). Gallbladder is part of livers.
- It is the body main internal detox organ – eliminates toxins which get to to our body (ingestion, inhalation), there are myriad types of toxins; also internally made products of our endocrine system need to be eliminated from blood stream at some point – otherwise it can become toxic. Cells which make up our bodies have its lifecycle and metabolism so there is also metabolic waste produced and liver needs to process it.
- Another key function is the storage function for precise substances our body needs for a proper function – vitamins, minerals, also hormones and mainly glucose, a main human fuel which is stored in a form of glycogen and released from our deposits in on-demand fashion.
- A special function of my key interest is liver role in immunity. It is factory of so called complement system proteins – important part of innate immunity, weapon against pathogens and infections in general.
Regarding ALS or MS diseases role of toxicity and infections is known – what is unknown is the overall mechanics of the disease, because science does not know the meanings and relationships. What needs to be obvious to everyone is that having liver in a top shape is important for disease prevention in general but especially when we speak about amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and multiple sclerosis. Above points 6, 7 and 8 are logically relevant:
- Anyone facing such non-trivial health issues just needs minimal ingestion of toxins and maximal ability to neutralize/eliminate toxins already present in the body (or silently accumulated over years or even tens of years)
- Anyone facing such non-trivial health issues just needs supply of quality minerals and vitamins so body has energy (glucose) and substances required to build all the chemicals, hormones, enzymes etc.
- Anyone facing such non-trivial health issues can be further endangered with infections – innate imunity is key player, in other post I already mentioned the importance of NK cells and here I mention another part – complement system.
Role In Immunity
I would cite following introducing information. The liver is the largest solid organ in the body and has many unique immunological properties, including induction of immune tolerance, strong innate immunity, poor adaptive immune response versus over-reactive autoimmunity and hematopoiesis in the fetal liver. Thus, the liver has been proposed as ‘an immunological organ’.1 Although the primary functions of the liver are not traditionally considered to be immunological, the liver also performs many essential immune tasks. For example, hepatocytes are responsible for the production of 80–90% of the circulating innate immunity proteins in the body, and the liver contains a large number of resident immune cells. Therefore, researchers have also proposed that the liver is ‘an innate immune organ’, ‘an immune organ’ and ‘a lymphoid organ’2.
We should already know that Anthony William theories mention liver as an absolutely critical factor. There is whole book where the theory is summarized and complements the thyroid book – of course scientists would not like it, but at the same time science is getting to very similar if not same conclusions. The liver is constantly exposed to a wide variety of bacterial products, environment toxins and food antigens. To efficiently and rapidly protect against these potentially toxic agents without generating detrimental immune responses, the liver depends on its strong innate immune system, acting as an important innate immunity organ2.
It is not surprising that the Epstein-Barr caused infectious mononucleosis is a disease of liver and also thyroid. Again 100% in line with Anthony William books. I can cite also Wikipedia on complement system deficiency. It is thought that the complement system might play a role in many diseases with an immune component, such as Barraquer–Simons Syndrome, asthma, lupus erythematosus, glomerulonephritis, various forms of arthritis, autoimmune heart disease, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome and ischemia-reperfusion injuries,and rejection of transplanted organs. The complement system is also becoming increasingly implicated in diseases of the central nervous system such as Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative conditions such as spinal cord injuries.
Another good article deals with liver role in inflammation processes3. I don´t think every reader is able to go through scientific articles but the bottom line information for them is – Anthony William theories are not that obscure. For science it can be clear that strong innate immunity individuals probably don´t have big problems – they are dealing with immunodeficient individuals which are known to struggle with long lasting latent infections (herpetic viruses) and are more endangered with tumors. Science mentions again hereditary factors as a possible cause for immune system deficient functionality but there should be also an alternative theory where liver health status can become key area of interest. I should also remind the existence of all the supplements including natural herbs which are part of Anthony William treatment protocols and which are known to stimulate production of immune cells and support homeostatic levels among them.
From my own experience it seemed the liver issues can be very hard to recognize and physicians I attended were never interested in my liver. I had been taken blood numerous times but who knows what all the doctors were checking. This silent and sneaky process can be certain time bomb as the problem can manifest later using symptoms which do not signify liver as an original cause. Again link it with hierarchical structure of organs and tissues as per chinese thousand years old and proven medicine. If people get this information and realize they should pay much bigger attention to liver health perhaps there will be less chronic diseases.
- 1.Odoya E, Norris M. Anatomy & Physiology for Dummies. 3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2017.
- 2.Gao B. Basic liver immunology. Cell Mol Immunol. Published online April 4, 2016:265-266. doi:10.1038/cmi.2016.09
- 3.Robinson MW, Harmon C, O’Farrelly C. Liver immunology and its role in inflammation and homeostasis. Cell Mol Immunol. Published online April 11, 2016:267-276. doi:10.1038/cmi.2016.3
Please make sure you read the disclaimer page and you understand the motivation of this web.