Simple answer is because science has no good understanding of the disease. Mainly the whole big picture and mechanics are yet unknown. However there are problems of human origin which present certain barriers of progress. These are elaborated more in other questions so go through them thorougly.
My understanding is that the cure humans are looking for does not exist and this is the reason why we do not have it. Simply we cannot have it. But does that mean ALS patients are lost and cannot get cured? Of course not. It only means the current human imagination of the cure is very inaccurate. Look at what humans are producing and where are they looking for cure and perhaps you will understand better. Once humans realize the truth can be somewhere else things can rapidly change. I try to accelerate this change.
Limitless Wisdom Corner
Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm (Winston S. Churchill)
When resources are limited and many related problems remain unresolved, it can be sometimes beneficial to act like a smart gambler rather than resource allocation optimization mastermind. Instead of trying to solve those 100 problems concurrently you can pick just one and call magic phrase “I am ALL IN”. If you are lucky enough you might have just solved 1+99 problems (Mr. Underhill From Shire) [“ALL IN” on ALS]
Please note this answer is part of FAQ page containing 45+ amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) related questions. It can be also viewed as single post which may look little bit odd. For example search engine like Google or Bing can direct you at such view. If you are missing a context check the parent page and perhaps also other questions. Do you know ALS Experimental Theory? Are you aware of ALS 1KD Challenge? Have you read results of my ALS investigation with really controversial conclusion?
Fight against ALS disease needs to be lead by employing below generic tactics (details are part of this website too):
- Stabilization of PH across all body fluids
- Excretion of heavy metals (mercury, lead, cadmium) and toxic metals (aluminium) from body via natural chelatation and detoxification procedures
- Supporting immune system using all known means (supplementation, natural immune boosters)
- Supporting ALS ill organism with radical diet ("Kernel mode diet") with rich antioxidant and quality nutrition components
- Putting special focus on resting, breathing exercises, regulated sun exposure, keeping healthy and positive morale
- Support from other people who need to be also positive and believe in real improvements, words like fatality, incurability are forbidden and forgotten words
- Avoiding all strenuous activities and focusing on regulating all types of stress as much as possible (physical stress, psychic stress)