This is the first drug approved for use in treatment of ALS. You can read about it here and then of course google for any other more detailed information. It basically targets the excessive glutamate levels in brain which are known finding in ALS patients. However the drug is no success and it is claimed it only prolongs life by couple of weeks while not improving anything and by introducing additional negative side effects.
My comment is simple. It does not work at all and it is completelly worthless. Perhaps it can have some value for science but for patients it is worthless. My mother got it as well – it did not help at all and made her more sick. Interesting information about the drug which I have hard time to understand is that even the creators or science does not know what and how the drug should actually do or how it should work against the problem. This looks like it is more some terrible experiment than anything else. Natural question is – How the heck can someone approve something like that (unknown mechanics, poor effects, negative side effects)? This is pseudoscience or not really sophisticated science.
Please note this answer is part of FAQ page containing 45+ amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) related questions. It can be also viewed as single post which may look little bit odd. For example search engine like Google or Bing can direct you at such view. If you are missing a context check the parent page and perhaps also other questions.
Do you know ALS Experimental Theory? Are you aware of ALS 1KD Challenge? Have you read results of my ALS investigation with really controversial conclusion?
Also the latest lengthy articles on ALS provided information which is not part of the general knowledge due to its inherent controversy, please consider still getting familiar with it and explore those topics on your own:
- ALS Community - Buried Alive
- Brutal and Ruthless Truth About ALS
- Nelda Buss - Deciphering the Miracle
Fight against ALS disease needs to be lead by employing below generic tactics (details are part of this website too):
- Stabilization of PH across all body fluids
- Excretion of heavy metals (mercury, lead, cadmium) and toxic metals (aluminium) from body via natural chelatation and detoxification procedures
- Supporting immune system using all known means (supplementation, natural immune boosters)
- Supporting ALS ill organism with radical diet ("Kernel mode diet") with rich antioxidant and quality nutrition components
- Putting special focus on resting, breathing exercises, regulated sun exposure, keeping healthy and positive morale
- Support from other people who need to be also positive and believe in real improvements, words like fatality, incurability are forbidden and forgotten words
- Avoiding all strenuous activities and focusing on regulating all types of stress as much as possible (physical stress, psychic stress)