It is stated the average length of life since receiving the diagnosis is 2-5 years or similar. There are great differences – some people resist and live more than 10 or 15 years. Extreme case is the most famous patient Sir Stephen Hawking who lived with the disease almost whole life (55 years!; instance of miracle). The problem is that even these admirably long living patients get relatively soon into that immobile or paralyzed mode and then live longer in this condition. Despite their resisting, the quality of life is extremely affected and the patient as well as family (care givers) need to find new way of life. There are couple of things which can prolong life which was also Hawking case. Without extra care he would probably die in 1980s when having already great difficulties. Some patients refuse those interventions (surgery, ventilation) which is understandable given the unfortunate state of things. Lot of patients die relatively early since receiving the diagnosis – several months or less than 2 years. In some countries people choose euthanasy.
It is very unfortunate state but please go through all other questions in all sections because there are certain traces which could explain these differences and move humans forward. There is actually something to do!
Limitless Wisdom Corner
Where there is great love, there are always miracles (Willa Cather)
- Why length of life with ALS is so different?
Please note this answer is part of FAQ page containing 45+ amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) related questions. It can be also viewed as single post which may look little bit odd. For example search engine like Google or Bing can direct you at such view. If you are missing a context check the parent page and perhaps also other questions. Do you know ALS Experimental Theory? Are you aware of ALS 1KD Challenge? Have you read results of my ALS investigation with really controversial conclusion?
Fight against ALS disease needs to be lead by employing below generic tactics (details are part of this website too):
- Stabilization of PH across all body fluids
- Excretion of heavy metals (mercury, lead, cadmium) and toxic metals (aluminium) from body via natural chelatation and detoxification procedures
- Supporting immune system using all known means (supplementation, natural immune boosters)
- Supporting ALS ill organism with radical diet ("Kernel mode diet") with rich antioxidant and quality nutrition components
- Putting special focus on resting, breathing exercises, regulated sun exposure, keeping healthy and positive morale
- Support from other people who need to be also positive and believe in real improvements, words like fatality, incurability are forbidden and forgotten words
- Avoiding all strenuous activities and focusing on regulating all types of stress as much as possible (physical stress, psychic stress)